Thursday, December 23, 2010

Inspirational Story for the Holidays

9th of December 2010

INSPIRATIONAL STORY FOR THE HOLIDAYS

I have written in the past how I feel it is incumbent upon all of us to help those who find themselves without. During this time of year, I think it is even more important that the souls with enough, must take the responsibility to provide for those doing with less or worse; without.

I have also extolled how every year I take what I would spend on myself for a gift and buy toys for needy children that might otherwise go without. This year I researched the Clark Howard and WSB Radio’s Christmas Kids 2010. The recipients of these donated goods are the Georgia Department of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS). While I am unable to find any statistics on the number of orphans managed by DFCS; just a single child is far too many.

It is torturous to wake every day as a young person caught within the DFCS system and not just think that you are a throw-away, but to know it by the system managing your daily needs as opposed to a caring parent or family. Being reminded daily that your mother, your father nor any other relative wanted to keep you, as well as the additional burden that when given a choice for adoption, other children were selected above you. We must take it upon ourselves to erase such stereo-types from the memories of these treasured children who just want to be loved. Every child deserves love and a chance at a life without the burdens and regrets that foster children are normally shackled by.

That is the precipitous in my choice of charities. As I’ve done for the past twenty-two years, I drove to the local WalMart store so that I can save as much money as possible and purchase the greatest number of toys possible. I requested the store manager at the Suwanee WalMart explaining my intentions and how much money I expected to spend with the simple request of a nominal discount. Over the many years I’ve shopped for children, every store manager has given me some type of discount and Sam, the Suwanee store manager, was gracious enough to offer a fifty dollar gift card in assisting my purchasing abilities. Ten percent of what I had reserved to spend was very generous, so I expressed my gratitude while moving towards the toy department.

I obtained several charts and started what most makes me feel like Santa Clause, shopping for children. Sam approached with the front-end manager and delivered introductions. She offered to assist in my selection of goodies, but I love the task and to know each item purchased with the imagination of those receiving it when nothing was expected. I’ve learned over the years to refrain from anything needing batteries and try to balance boy/girl toys while obtaining the greatest range of ages. I’ve done this so many years that I was ready and started on the first isle tracking my expenditures via my iPhone calculator. The front-end manager asked me again if I wanted her assistance but I was also expecting an interview call at any moment (what I call an interview screening call, not with a hiring manager and generally fifteen to twenty minutes long), so I graciously thanked her for her time, but I explained the expected interview call any moment and if she didn’t mind I loved the shopping experience for the children. She left me with instructions on what to do when I was done as she left me to my elf like behavior. As she walked away, she turned again to thank me for what I was doing, while I appreciated her heart-felt sentiments, the only appreciation that matters to me is knowing that each toy puts a smile on the face of a child that might not have received anything for the holidays.

I was in heaven as I filled the two shopping charts with treasures. I tallied right at six hundred and fifty dollars while the interview call seemed to be winding down towards the end of my shopping spree. In all, I spent over an hour hand selecting the toys while explaining my background and loving every moment I multitask-ed (my ego was absolutely being stroked by both actions). Once the call was completed I thought briefly that maybe the good interview was a “Thank You” for my good deed.

The front-end manager and I talked as a clerk rang up the goodies. I was floating on cloud nine as I felt these gifts would make a difference for so many kids this year as the total came in right on point. The funny thing was that the cashier didn’t take my credit card. She did give the receipt to the front-end manager and I was asked which door I would be exiting from. I motioned to my left as she and I walked towards the door. Halfway to the exit and by the time we were at the greeter; I had mentioned that the cashier had not run my card yet as I held it out for the manager to take. That is when the Grinch’s heart grew three times! She stopped me dead in my tracks with her words, “the store manager is donating these gifts today!”

I know my mouth was open and for once in my life I was speechless (and that is a difficult task to achieve). I was already on cloud nine, but wow, I flew even higher with his generosity. My gift to the children became amplified and made so much better than it ever could have been by Sam’s generosity. His kindness is exactly what this time of year is about as many people display acts of selflessly doing for others. I made haste as I drove across town to deliver these twice blessed bundles of joy. My attempt to do well was intensified by Sam’s gift and the only thing I knew to do was to say “Thank You!”

As I delivered the toys to another WalMart, I was able to tell my story to the Regional Manager in hopes that Sam might receive the credit he so rightfully deserved. I went back to Sam’s WalMart several days later and purchased another bundle of toys in hopes that his December numbers might earn him that extra bonus he so warranted. I know that every WalMart store has a budget for charitable donations, but this was my gift to the children of Georgia. Sam and WalMart soared above and beyond anything good I was doing and I must say I was impressed, grateful and have become an even more loyal customer.

I wish to encourage any others to make steps towards giving to those who need. If someone is asking for money, you can buy them food. If a person needs a shower, clothing or a place to lay their head; we don’t have to give money in order to help. We can give from our hearts and most of the time that is far better than cash alone. Find a way that doesn’t harm you and do so regularly. I set out to start a tradition twenty-two years ago. I promised myself that the greatest gift I could receive was that of giving and I always feel blessed within my actions. Teach your children and start a new tradition with your family. When the meaning comes from your heart, it doesn’t matter if it is one gift or hundreds of them; it just matters that you care enough to give.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
&
HAPPY NEW YEARS

Your humble servant – Rev. Todd M Dobson

No comments: